Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Gratitude Project - Week 10


\ˈgra-tə-ˌtüd, -ˌtyüd\

The quality of being thankful:  readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness. 




Today I’m thankful for these two pairs of running shoes.  They belong to my husband and I and it means we were headed on a walk this week.  All summer and fall we walked about 4 times a week, on a 5K loop in our area.  Over the winter I don’t walk outside, because well, let’s be honest, it’s winter, and it’s cold.  Plus having broken my leg a year and a half ago, I’m not excited about slipping, falling or cracking anything on the ice.  But now, with the warm weather we’ve had, the ice is gone and we can get back to that rhythm again.  We see beautiful skies, hear the birds, greet other walkers, and one time rescued a little girl on a trike that was going out of control down the hill.  She was quite a little daredevil.  :)  We’ve walked in heat, wind, rain...all at a steady rhythm that seems to right a lot of things in our world.

I like our walks because it’s about 50 minutes to an hour of uninterrupted time we have with each other.  Sometimes, like this week, we have genuine and important conversations.  We can ask each other deeper questions, listen and encourage each other.  Other times we don’t talk a lot, but just get to spend time together. I appreciate that time with him very much, plus it’s good for our physical selves too.

I have these fun new shoes too, my first pair of Brooks.  I’ve worn Mizuno runners, and wore through my Saucony’s, but these new Brooks pair are quite firm and still cushy.  A great start to a walking season.

What are you grateful for today?  Have a blessed week friends!




2 comments:

Lena Misquitta said...

Hi Christine. I like your article on being grateful. I am grateful I can walk. I have rheumatoid arthritis and 6 months ago I could not walk without pain. Having spent 4 months in Chicago with my son and motivated and encouraged by him, I am now 16 pounds lighter and can walk briskly. I'm keeping it up. Hugs, Lena

Julie Koerber said...

Seeing this photo Christine made me smile. That's how Ken and I start our days at least 4 times a week as well. I am sure you can relate that sometimes this is the best time you get to "figure things out" as a couple. Both of us have benefitted physically and mentally and so, seeing your shoes in action made me smile -- what a beautiful gift to your marriage (& health)! :-) Hugs & love!