Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Apples Framed


It's almost apple season here!  Our tree has produced an abundance of apples this year, which we're thrilled about.  The ones I picked last week weren't ready yet, so the wait is on!

While we were on the American Adventure one of our stops was staying with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law in Colorado Springs.  While we were there I was wracking my brain trying to come up with something that would be a nice gift to say thank you for letting us stay with them.  Then I thought about making something for them once we got home.  My sister-in-law has a sort of fruity/apple theme in her kitchen, so I thought I'd try to create something with that in mind.  So, here is what I'll be sending them,  a 8 x 10 framed piece of art and a card.   I have a lot of pictures because once the glass was in the picture I wasn't about to take it out again.  


I'll start with the framed piece.  I took the Flourishes set - Apple of My Eye and stamped it on Memento Tuxedo Black onto Flourishes Classic Ivory cardstock two times.  I coloured up the image with Copic Markers finishing one whole design.  Then I decided which parts of the design I wanted to come forward (like a paper tole feel) and coloured a second image of those parts, cutting them out and popped them up.  I didn't do a alot of "popping", but just a few parts and it really looks awesome in person.  


The image is so striking, but with colouring alone it looked a little bare.  My sister-in-law has some blues throughout her kitchen and living area so I wanted to give it some blue in the design as well.  I traced where the matting of the frame would hit and then used my B91 and B93 markers to colour long stripes of blue along those edges.  Just the colouring alone would have been to stark a contrast so I took out an old wash-cloth and dampened it with Copic Blender solution and pressed onto the blue areas lifting some of the colour away in the same texture as the washcloth.  It really leaves the design with softened edges and a real organic feel.  I also added some B91 in the shadows with a little pointilism to tie the parts together.  


Then to keep that organic print feel going I inked up the APPLES sentiment in Memento Rhubarb Stalk ink and stamped and stamped off the word going vertically and horizontally.  In this picture above you might be able to see some of the dimension as well.  Several of the apple blossoms, a leaf, and one section of the apple in the foreground.  I'm quite delighted by how it turned out.  

Now for the card:


Simple and very traditionally apple :)  I used one of the smaller apples cut out with one of our Perfectly Pierced Classic Frames die, paired with Echo Park Beautiful Life dp and Color Made Easy Pistachio cardstock.    


It makes a nice set that I think they'll like!

Thanks for popping by today!  See you Friday for more!


5 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a gorgeous set Christine!! i adore your framed image and your layout and coloring on your card are gorgeous!!! So cheerful and beautiful with the added trim and banner. Those borders are on my wishlist!!

I hope you have enjoyed your summer and all is well. You have been in my thoughts!!

hugs,
Chris

Gretchen Wilson said...

Wow, this is gorgeous and to think of using it for more than a card, loved the framed piece. Well done.

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow this is gorgeous too both of them and stunning colouring Christine.

greetings karin

TLady said...

What a GORGEOUS GIFT!!!!!!!! Your Sister-in-law & Brother-in-law WILL LOVE THIS!!!!!!:) AND WONDERFUL COLORING!!!!!!!!!!:) WOW!!:)

Stacy Morgan said...

Outstanding gift idea! My sister would love this as well as her kitchen is apples. Fabulous coloring, awesome card to match. She is going to love it!!!