Saturday, April 13, 2013

Project 52 - 15

Hello again friends!

Though you didn't know it...we've been away realizing a dream we've had for a while now.  A year and a half ago we were privelaged to attend a wedding of our dear friends in Mexico City.  Because just my husband and I went down, we also tacked on a couple of "extra" days in Cancun just for us.  We were amazed by the beauty of this place and both dreamed of how wonderful it would be to take our kids there someday.  Well, this being sabbatical year, we were able to make that dream come to life to take our kids and also meet up with our other family there too (my husband's brother, sister-in-law and family).  It was very special and we created many precious memories.  I have a hundred stories,  a thousand pictures, and countless blessings....I thought I'd just share a few with you.  A lot of these are worth clicking on and enlarging if you have the time.


Nothing like flip flops abandoned on the beach for a cousin run to chase waves.  



Our resort had a zip line for kids, so our youngest did it one day.  He had so much fun.  


Beside our resort which was really great, was this abandoned resort.  In it's day I think it must have been so lovely.  I did a little bit of research and from what I can tell, in 2005 Hurricane Wilma hit the Yucatan Penninsula and damaged it badly; they never really recovered after that.  It almost looks like Greece to me with the white stucco.  And just look at that ocean!  This photo doesn't even do it justice either. It really is that amazing turquoise colour and the beaches really are that gorgeous white sand.  


We call him Little Lizard.  One day we found him sunning himself on the steps and one of the cousins fell in love.  They are SO fast (we've had lots of experience with little guys like these in Mexico City), but this little one was patient enough to crawl up on my nieces hand...she had a really hard time letting him go.  


One night we went to the Mexican Restaurant, but because we were a group of 12, they sat us in two tables.  The guys said we should go as girls...so nice!  They had the other 6 kids on their own!  


The evening light before sunset was just gorgeous on the beach so we took everyone out one night and did a photo shoot.  A rare quiet thoughtful look on my very goofy son.  



He's just so adorable.  We had a very great time with him this vacation.  


Can you tell it was windy?  


I love this precious shot of our daughter.  She didn't know I was taking the photo...always the best kind.  



Our crew.  It is NOT easy getting everyone looking at the camera that's for sure, so this is a great one!  



Just look at that evening sky!  It just makes my heart swell remembering it!  


Our youngest is getting more interested in photography, so I let him shoot a little.  He wanted a natural laughing pose.  :)  

 Some nice foot prints on the beach.

I love how this shot came out.  There were some fun waterslides at the resort and I caught our middle son gliding across the top of the water before he went under.  


Our daughter and her daddy on a long walk on the beach we did one evening.  I think this one will probably show up at her wedding someday.  


The spectacular ocean I love so much.  We walked out to that lighthouse point in the distance.  


I believe these are called Kite Boarders.  I was fascinated with them.  He's on a surfboard with a harness and above him is a para-sail type chute that he's using to kite himself across the ocean.  The power those guys must have in their arms to guide that chute is amazing.   



We made it to the rocky point on the beach.  I love this picture of my handsome husband.  He is so tanned!  


The rocky point juts out quite a way into the ocean so you can see some really big waves come up over the rocks.  


On our last day I wrote in the sand...Okkens in Cancun 2013...the waves were especially high that day and not two seconds after I shot this photo a wave came to wash it all away!  

It was a wonderful vacation...thanks for sharing a bit of it with me.  

10 comments:

Jill Norwood said...

Incredible photos of Beaty and family fun and love which is what life is all about! Love them!

TLady said...

FABULOUS PHOTOS CHRISTINE!!!!!!! THAT SKY picture looks like a PAINTING!!!!!!!!!!!! :) THANKS FOR SHARING YOU VACATION WITH US!!!!!!!! :)It looks WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Stacy Morgan said...

You have a way with pictures and bringing the audience into the scene. Beutiful pictures girlie. Looks like you had a fabulous time. I love the pictures of the footprints in the sand (for several reasons) and the ones of you and Terry! Hugs...

Marisa said...

What a great set of pictures and I'm SO glad you were able to go as a family :) LOVE the water pictures - many, many childhood memories for me of times at the beaches in Costa Rica. The colour is stunning and breath taking indeed. Just LOVE the picture of your son going down the slide!! Perfect timing on the shot!! Had to giggle at the gecko/lizard picture - no shortage of them down there either LOL! Thanks for sharing so many wonderful shots :)

Carole C said...

Wonderful photos. I am so glad you share you skill! And what a beautiful family!

scrappingnana said...

Great photos. You have some fabulous shots and a great family. Enjoyed looking at them. Thanks for sharing.

Bobbi Miller said...

Christine, I just love seeing your family. These photos are so beautiful; I really love the ones with the flip flops; a great way to start the photo shoot. Every one of them is outstanding. Thanks so much for sharing your life with us. Awesome! Bless you all.

Nancy Jensen said...

I love LOVE love your photos! One of these days I'm going to save up for a good camera and take a photography class. Your photos are amazing! Of course I enjoy your art work as well. Thank you for sharing your talents and your family photos as well.

Julie Koerber said...

How very sweet!!! love seeing all the Okkens having such a wonderfully happy time together!

Conniecrafter said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time, so glad you were able to get away with the kids!